Are Succulents Poisonous to Cats?

Are Succulents Poisonous to Cats? Can Cats Eat Succulents!

Succulents and cats are the two most adorable things globally, but do they go hand in hand? Or are the succulents poisonous for cats

Cats are curious by nature, and there is always the nagging fear of these feline creatures nibbling on stuff that’s unhealthy for them. Combine it with your love for succulents, and you’ll find it’s a recipe for disaster. That is, if the succulents are toxic to cats. So are succulents poisonous to cats? How would the cats react to ingesting succulents? And many other such thoughts might race through your mind if you have a cat and own succulents. So let’s settle this once and for all that are succulents poisonous to cats or not?

Do Cats Eat Succulents?

cat eating succulent

Cats instinctively avoid eating succulents or any other plant, for that matter, as it doesn’t constitute their natural diet. Cats find the taste and odor of succulents unappetizing and thus do not eat succulents. The probability of a cat eating a succulent is extremely rare, but it doesn’t completely rule out the possibility of something like this happening. If there is a history of your pet ingesting things, it shouldn’t; you should be wary of that happening again with succulents. But are succulents toxic to cats, or is it all talk!

Are succulents Toxic to Cats?

Some succulents are toxic to cats and, when ingested by cats, can result in complications ranging from Diarrhea, vomiting, dizziness to irritation in the mouth and airways. To name a few, Aloe vera, Pencil CactusJade PlantPanda PlantSnake Plant, and Kalanchoe are toxic to both cats and dogs as per ASPCA. However, there are succulents which non-toxic and safe around cats, such as Blue EcheveriaBurro’s Tail, and Zebra Haworthia.

Also Read: Can Cats Eat Rosemary?

What to do if Cat Eats Succulents?

cat and succulent

First and foremost, look up the succulent ingested by the cat online, whether it’s toxic for the cat or not! Cats usually tend to steer clear of succulents still; if out of curiosity your cat ingests a small quantity of toxic succulents, it isn’t a cause of worry. A bite or two of a toxic succulent won’t cause any harm to your beloved feline creature. Although ingesting toxic succulents in large quantities can lead to complications and even death if left untreated! If your cat exhibits symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, or any other peculiar behavior, then consult the vet immediately.

So to sum it up, you don’t need to worry about cats ingesting lethal doses of succulents as it doesn’t constitute their natural diet. Still, if your cat has a history of ingesting harmful stuff, keep the toxic succulents out of their reach. Consult the vet if your cat shows visible signs of discomfort after ingesting any toxic succulent.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top